Pages

Recommendation of A Good MOBA Game for Girls to Play

Monday 9 May 2016




Girls out there, are you excited to see this?!



Nah, I guess not.

Firstly, what's a MOBA game?

It's Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, which simply means that 2 teams of players fight against each other in a same battlefield, and one team wins if they conquer the enemy's base.

League of Legends is a MOBA game.

I been playing games at the age of 6, from boardgames to game cartridges, gameboy to PlayStation. I am more of a console player and I now own an Xbox. I have also tried playing most of the so-called "fun" game-apps on mobile (That sounds like an idea for another gaming post).

BUT I HAVE NEVER TRIED COMPUTER GAMES. (I'm not sure whether games like viwawa, neopets and fb games are considered to be computer games..)

Until I met a friend on the net, where he introduced me into League of Legends (AKA: LoL, not laugh out loud, fyi). And I have been playing it for almost a year, something that is really rare because usually once I get the hang of a game, I'd lose my interest in it.

3 Reasons Why League of Legends (LoL) is a Fun Game for Girls to Play:

1. You Can Put Your Wits to Good Use

Sometimes we girls need something to prove that we are not bimbos, and computer games can be that thing.

A game is something that is played fairly according to the rules, using your wits and strategy, to WIN. The rules are set by the game creator, so that we can enjoy the process of winning or losing a game.

I do know some people (boys and girls), who are very chill about games. They usually dislike being overly competitive, or afraid that their brain would self destruct upon excessive usage.

So if you play a game just for fun, and your definition of "fundoes not include trying as hard as possible to understand the game, analysing why you've lost, or strategising to win the game, then I think you are losing the real FUN of a game.

What I meant was, firstly, when you play a game you want to WIN right?

I will not get into the whole background and objective of the game, you can read it here (How to play League of Legends? )

For LoL, there are many factors you need to consider to win:

1. Champions (the character you select and control): their strengths and weaknesses, their best position to go, etc.

2. Objectives: e.g. whether to chase after an enemy or to focus on bringing down a tower, working towards conquering the base and winning a game

3. Teamwork: when and where to join in a fight, how to communicate with teammates, etc

4. Your own strengths and weaknesses: e.g. are you an aggressive player? Or a "running-away" defensive player?

5. Items, Masteries, Runes: TL;DR- what's their best combo for a particular champion?

And the list goes on and on..

What is fun (at least for me), is to study all these and apply them in the game, conquer the base, get GGs ("Good Game") from your teammates and wait for the word "Victory" to appear on the screen.

Then you realise, hey actually you're not that lousy, even though you have some pimples on your face and fats covering your great body, you have a brain that can process complicated things and win something else in life.

I'm not sure about you, but IT FEELS GOOD.

2. It Teaches You to Accept Challenges

When I just started to play this game, because of the steep learning curve and being a complete noob at computer games, I was so frustrated that I was on the verge of giving up.

During my first 50 games, I kept getting teammates saying these to me:
"Dude, wtf are you doing?"
"get lost noob"
"Just ff, ffs" (Just surrender, for F* sake)

And I was on a losing streak.

Then a voice came from nowhere, said this to me: "Just be shameless in asking stupid questions."

Initially, I was really embarrassed in asking questions because i didn't think anyone would care. But I was desperate and decided to ask seemingly stupid questions like:
"Where should I go?"
"What should I do?"
"What does mf mean?" (It was actually the abbreviation of my character Miss Fortune. I can't help but felt so stupid at this question.)

BUT, that voice (no matter where you came from) was right.

Many players were so eager to teach me, and gave me chances when I made a bad move. I could analyse my mistakes and improve for the next game. Some even encouraged me by saying I was a good team member, I just need more practise.

I guess it was also a chance for them to show off that they are more pro than me, haha.

Just like any typical story, I finally became much better after asking questions and of course, reading guides.

So this was a good ol' lesson - Never chicken out when it's too hard.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.


3. The Champion Design is Beautiful.

Most girls want to look good. (I'm not sure whether I should say ALL girls..)

Yet, in reality, we look like shi....shitake mushroom - ordinary and innocent looking but super delicious when cooked.

So here comes the character selection in LoL.

Why did I choose Miss Fortune as my first training champion, it was only because she has a long and wavy red hair, with a perfect body and nonchalant expression:

Credits: League of Legends

OMG I want to be like her - Boom! and you're dead.
Lucky for me, she's one of the easy learning champions.

The second champion I trained on was another super beauty, Sona.

Credits: League of Legends
I love her oriental costume, with pretty looking fringe that I can never have and the air of elegance she displays.

To make things even more magical, all of the characters have their own background and story.

TL;DR- Sona was an abandoned child who couldn't talk, but was taken in by a rich woman who helped to develop her talent in music. That's where Sona realised she could use her music to express herself, as well as protect herself as a deadly weapon.

Beautiful isn't it.

Now I'm curious whether there are any other girls out there playing LoL as well?

I know Youtuber Wengie plays it when she's free.
I've also met a 12 year-old girl on my server before.
And my friend told me his girlfriend plays it with him.

And that's all the females LoL gamers I know or have heard of. LOL.

Do comment if you play it too!

Review Summary:

I wouldn't call myself a GAMER, because I have not tried famous games like Halo, DOTA, Starcraft, etc, but I feel that there are games that girls can try, as long as you are competitive, you love challenging yourself and generally love playing games.

Oh and most importantly, you can play like a pro without paying a single cent:

THIS GAME IS FREE.

My Ratings:
Affordability: ★★★★★
Fun-factor:     ★★★★
Appeal (to girls):★★★

Disclaimer: I am not saying other games are not suitable for girls, this is just a recommendation. Ultimately, do make your own judgement on which game is the best for you and how much time to invest in a game. Be a responsible adults/youth/child :)

No comments:

Post a Comment